grub-devel

Re: update-grub2

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: update-grub2
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:16:49 +0200

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 11:40:02AM +0100, Declan Naughton wrote:
> Maybe this isn't the right place, but..
>
> I've been pissed off a couple of times by my grub config being
> overwritten after installing a new kernel on Ubuntu (presumably the
> same happens on Debian) - I don't get why it doesn't simply add the
> new kernel rather than regenerate the entire file?
>
> If you think this is too off-topic then ignore if you will or email me
> privately :)

Yes, it is :)

I'm not the person (nor this is the place) to answer about that, but note that
my proposal for update-grub2 doesn't keep state from former config files.
That's a very awkward (and as you already found out, very error-prone) that I
wouldn't recommend having at all.

In my proposed framework, if you want to customise the configuration you have to
do it at the source (in /etc/update-grub.d or whatever it'll be called).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.