grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.95 is released

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.95 is released
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:52:58 +0200

* Vladimir Serbinenko <address@hidden> [061015 17:36]:
> >Hm. What's the reason for being inconsistent here?
> >
> >If changing the partition naming scheme, I would have thought it'd
> >become hd1,1. But why is the first disk 0 and the first partition 1?
> >
> >Using Linux style names might make sense as well... hda1,...
>
> It was already discussed plenty of times and the answer is that with
> BIOS it's impossible to guess the linux's names, so it would just
> confuse the users

Sorry if I missed that. Counting disks from 0 and partitions from 1
will not confuse the users, because ...? ;-)

You are right, using Linux conventions is hard to do, as this has a lot
to do with how drivers are implemented and in which order they are
executed. Note it was only a side thought of my mail, while the original
intent, an inconsistent numbering scheme, is still an issue.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/