grub-devel

configure failure

From: Brandon Sho
Subject: configure failure
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:24:55 +0900

Current status of grub2 (October Snapshot)  on cygwin:

Error:   --> configure failure
Note: This same error was reported on cygwin last year !!

I would like to get it fixed now.   Here are the details:

----------------  Below are the last 2 lines output by the
---- grub2 configure script, before it commits harakiri.
checking whether objcopy works for absolute addresses... no
configure: error: GRUB requires a working absolute objcopy; upgrade
your binutils
----------------

The "upgrade your binutils" in the error message is certainly
inappropriate, becuase I have a reasonable new version.  To wit: GNU
objcopy 2.17.50 20060817.   And you shouldn't require anything newer
than that.

Is it possible that the configure script testing for absoluteness is wrong?
Or that cygwin can not handle absolutes (which is nonsense since thats
machine level).

Please look into this GRUB2  build failure.  I'll help you to setup a
cygwin system if you wnat to duplicate this.. or test for you here, if
you give me some clues.

I await your considered response.

Thanks,
  d.j.