grub-devel

Possible bug installing grub2 with HP smart array

From: Andrew Beverley
Subject: Possible bug installing grub2 with HP smart array
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:29:27 +0000

Grub version 1.95
Linux From Scratch 6.2

I'm unable to get grub2 installed in the MBR on my HP Proliant DL360
server. The server uses the HP Compaq SmartArray and I'm wondering
whether this is the problem - it seems to cause problems with legacy
grub as well.

For info, the SmartArray uses device names of the
form /dev/cciss/c0d0, /dev/cciss/c0d0p1, /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 etc

I have successfully compiled and installed the grub source code, and
have tried the following to install to the MBR (with associated error
messages). The first partition of the disk (c0d0p1) is mounted as /boot.

COMMAND: grub-install '(hd0)'
OR: grub-install '(hd0,0)'

ERROR:
cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/cciss/c0d0p1.
Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
Please specify the module with the option '--modules' explicitly

COMMAND: grub-install --modules=ext2.mod '(hd0)'

ERROR:
cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/cciss/c0d0p1.
grub-setup: error: Cannot guess the root device. Specify the option
``--root-device''.

COMMAND: grub-setup --directory=/boot/grub
--device-map=/boot/grub/device.map --root-device=/dev/cciss/c0d0 '(hd0)'

ERROR:
grub-setup: error: Invalid root device `/dev/cciss/c0d0'

COMMAND: grub-setup --directory=/boot/grub
--device-map=/boot/grub/device.map --root-device=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1
'(hd0,0)'

ERROR:
grub-setup: error: Invalid root device `/dev/cciss/c0d0p1'

Contents of /boot/grub/devices.map:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0

Please let me know if there are any other tests you want me to do, or
indeed if I'm doing something stupid.

Thanks,

Andy Beverley