grub-devel

Re: grub2 accessibility: beeps

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: grub2 accessibility: beeps
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:45:57 +0100

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 04 December 2006 21:40, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> Well, the point that I am trying to make is that I would like to use
>> hooks for this in some way.  So you are not agreeing with the first
>> alternative I suggested.  But you ignored the second alternative,
>> which was the most important part in my email.
>
> You look so offensive to me. Did I ignore it? No! I only didn't mention any
> opinion about that.

I am not offensive at all, why would I be?  I am merely saying that
your reply is on a part of the email that I do not consider relevant,
while the relevant part is ignored, at least in your reply.  I just
hope you will react on the other part as well, when you have the time.

>> Can you explain what the style sheet would look like?  In that case we
>> can discuss some things so we are all agree so we can work towards the
>> same goal.
>
> I think you remember that I wanted to use a kind of style sheet to specify a
> fancy menu interface. This fits to the beeping issue. For now, I really don't
> care how it looks like, as long as it is easy even for non-programmers. I use
> a CSS-like syntax as an example:

[...]

> I didn't mention anything about your idea on hooks, because I only want to
> separate visual or sound effects from the config file itself. I don't care so
> much about the underlying implementation, whether it uses hooks or not.
> That's because I bet that how to boot operating systems is independent of how
> the menu looks.

Well, what I proposed is using hooks so you can program the behavior
instead of describing it in some kind of syntax.  A scripting language
is always more expressive than syntax (like arguments as Hollis
proposed, or your style sheet).

But I do think your style sheet proposal is useful, for example for
defining the visual layout of the menu.  Perhaps it can also be used
someway to communicate with the scripts behind the hooks.  But I do
not think it is useful to describe behavior in the style sheet because
this is what scripts are for.

--
Marco