Re: EFI-dualbooting OSX and Linux on iMac with T7400-CPU

From: bibo,mao
Subject: Re: EFI-dualbooting OSX and Linux on iMac with T7400-CPU
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:37:16 +0800

Eeri Kask wrote:
bibo,mao wrote:
 >> menuentry "MacOSX" {
 >>   set root=(hd0,2)
 >>   chainloader /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
 >> }
 >> menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
 >>   set root=(hd0,5)
 >>   linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
 >> }
 > There is no initrd option in your menu, I do not know whether it can
 > successfully boot up without initrd option with grub2. you can enter
 > into rescue mode(command-line mode), and enter commands like this:
 > $linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
 > $initrd /boot/xxx
 > $boot
 > And what is your linux kernel version?
There exists one bug in Linux kernel only EFI bios relative at
I do not know whether incorporates this bug.

initrd is in my case in fact not needed;  I compiled ata_piix and ext3
drivers, and everything inbetween directly into the kernel, so if
correctly loaded, it should be able to access /dev/sda5 and retrieve
/sbin/init from the hard disk; then everything else comes from there as

Currently I am a little puzzled, as grub2 loads and executes MacOS-X
boot.efi correctly, but if trying linux, then linux stops somewhere.
As next, if burning the same kernel image as a bootable syslinux-CD,
linux gets loaded and executed as one would expect.
With the "nv" driver even X11 runs in full 1920x1200 resolution on
iMac-T7400 excellently  (nvidia proprietary driver builds, starts and
runs without complaints, but shows "black pixels" only :-).

Maybe MacOS if booting from CD sets up some faked BIOS environment so
Linux and X11 are in believing it is usual IBM-PC-hardware, but if
booting with grub2 this is not the case and then linux fails?
I am not familiar with Mac machine, In general there exists two types of
bios. One is EFI bios, the other is legacy pc bios. I doubt that syslinux-CD boots from legacy pc bios but not EFI bios. You can enter "dmesg" command to find memory map information to judge which bios kernel
boots from.

bibo, mao

Momentarily I am not convinced it is a grub2 issue.

    Eeri Kask

Grub-devel mailing list