grub-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:11:25 +0100

I agree, but we could give proposals for implementing features that
work towards this goal a higher priority than those that
don't. E.g. giving CDROM support and the fancy menu interface a higher
priority, because that are two things GRUB Legacy already has (in most
major distributions at least). And certainly without the fancy menu
the major distributions aren't going to switch to GRUB2.

Jeroen Dekkers

I vote for grub2 cdrom support.

I suppose that you have designed grub2 the best way possible but Grub legacy wasn't.

These two years that I've been working with grub cdroms I've found two or three problems from the fact that grub cdrom was not tested fully. For example when an error happened the cur_part_offset variable had to be reset so that the cdrom was read ok and it wasn't reset.

Moreover I think that if we want grub2 to be a great software it should be tested in a earlier stage of development on all the devices where it can it boot from.

adrian15