grub-devel

Re: roles of grub-install and grub-setup?

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: roles of grub-install and grub-setup?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 15:30:43 +0200

On Friday 06 April 2007 12:27, rob wilco wrote:
> I want to boot a system laying on lvm, on an intel mac mini, I used :
>
> # grub-mkimage -o /boot/grub/core.img pc lvm ext2
>
> Q1 : Are the cited modules sufficient? Does the 'pc' module means someting
> like BIOS or MBR partition table?

The pc module provides support for PC-type (DOS-compatible) partition map.

I cannot tell you if they are enough. I myself didn't play legacy boot very
much.

> Q2 : What is the difference between grub-install and grub-setup? What is
> their respective role?

grub-setup is a low-level tool to set up GRUB to be bootable. grub-install is
a wrapper script to provide an easier interface to install GRUB. Normally,
you should want to use grub-install.

Okuji