grub-devel

Re: status update for grub 2 developments?

From: Ashok kumar
Subject: Re: status update for grub 2 developments?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:13:59 -0400

On 6/23/07, Marco Gerards <address@hidden> wrote:
Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Vesa,

> I think it would be wise to keep some kind of status updates from time
> to time so we can keep track on what people are doing (related to grub
> 2). If we continue with current situation we are long in 2010's before
> we have next release.

Agreed, we should head to he next release now.

> I think it would also be important to coordinate more different
> activities within grub 2. In example graphical menu has been issue for
> several years now :). Therefore I would propose that we would setup a
> group of people that would concentrate on specific issues related to
> implmentation (like a work group or something). I do not see it as a
> requirement that this group of people would implement the feature
> (though that would be good), but most importantly to draft out how
> features should work. When there is a spec written how feature should
> work then it would be much easier to implement that feature and then it
> would match ideology of other relevant developers (eg. to get patch
> accepted).

Right, it's a big problem that people send in patches that do not
match what we had in mind.  Writing down things can prevent such
problems.  We can use the wiki for that.  But in the longer term we
need something with more structure.

> I would see that at least following working groups should be formed. Of
> course we could tackle design issue at a time and then move to other issues.
>
> - Graphical menu (needs API spec, configuration file specs, guidelines
> for implementation, information how to integrate with scripting)
>
> - Network support (needs API spec, driver architecture, protocol stacks,
> file system support)

Actually, I thought a lot about networking.  I even have some code.

As you know I will be working on ffmpeg during the summer.  I will try
to free some evenings and weekends for GRUB 2 work.  In that time I
will try to finish scripting support and networking.

> Perhaps some others too... (please add)

People worked on all kinds of ports.  Some patches have not been
committed and suffer from bit rot.  The main problems were that the
maintainers didn't have much time lately and the patches were big huge
chunks of code.

Something I think is important for GRUB 2 is regression testing.  So
we can make sure things like scripting works, filesystems work
correctly, etc.

Another thing is the PPC port.  We need a macos loader.  It is high
priority if we want to replace yaboot.

> Anyway. First of all I would like to hear if you are developing
> something above or something else, reply this e-mail and tell us about
> it, there is no reason that work should be duplicated. Especially if you
> are already developing a feature your words would be good to be heard.
> If you are just reporting back list of stuff you are working on, please
> keep list as simple and clean as we want only big picture :). You could
> also describe how are you progressing with the feature.

Well, if people want to work on scripting or networking they should
talk to me.  I have lots of code on my hd that is incomplete or just
not cleaned up.  It would be a waste of time if it were rewritten.
And please poke me a lot to get me to work... ;)

I am interested on Networking. Please tell me your suggestion.

Ashok

> Ideas are welcome where to store this information are also welcome :).
> We would need to track requirements for features on component level.
> More automated the better.

Something like savannah.  Okuji doesn't like savannah that much,
IIRC.  And I don't either.  But I agree that too much goes wrong to
keep on working this way.

--
Marco