grub-devel

Re: CD-ROM booting staus update

From: Alex Roman
Subject: Re: CD-ROM booting staus update
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:10:29 -0400

On 04/07/07, Alex Roman <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/07/07, Uwe Hermann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 11:14:40PM -0400, Alex Roman wrote:
That will be the second stage of my Summer of Code project... Provided
people have no objections against my patch, and all is well, I will
soon start working on an ATA driver that will allow directly reading
from a CD-ROM drive.

Bear in mind, though, that current CD-ROM boot sectors (e.g. ISOLINUX)
rely on Int 13h calls to continue the boot process. This means that,
even though writing an ATA driver will allow GRUB to boot a CD on a
platform which doesn't provide legacy interrupts, the loaded boot
sector won't work properly after being booted.

A possible solution to this is to write a rudimentary Int 13h handler
which will make use of the ATA driver...

--
Alex Roman <address@hidden>