grub-devel

hd0 grub and kernel mismatches possible solution

From: adrian15
Subject: hd0 grub and kernel mismatches possible solution
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:08:16 +0200

You might know from using grub with the linux kernel that sometimes installers do not have the same idea than the bios or grub about what hard disk is hd0 and what hard disk is hd1.

I think one solution for live cds or installer cds should be to pass as a kernel argument the following string:

        bios=345344l-34-4,564l64645,455655

Where the first number is the hd0 UUID, the second number the hd1 one and so on.

Thus we should have a function that prompts this information so that we could have something like:

        title Knoppix 7
        root (cd)
        kernel /boot/grub/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 bios_drives()
        initrd /boot/grub/initrd
        boot

I have used bios_drives() but I actually do not know how I am supposed to use a function ( I do not know its syntax yet.)

What do you think about this solution ?

adrian15