grub-devel

Grub2 wiki

From: steve platt
Subject: Grub2 wiki
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:15:40 +0100

Some time ago I tried to use Grub2, having found that Grub1 (Legacy)
didn't work on my system ( yes, I know my logic was poor! ).

While trying to find how to use it, I came across the following page :-

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnX86

In that page there is a section about installing Grub2 on a "Real
system", which seems to me to have an obvious error which might mislead
others. I am too old and feeble to engage in battle with wicked wikis
but I would like to offer the following comment to the page's author (or
in the hope that it might help to improve the "documentation" of grub2:

In the first code box of this section the last command reads :-

  grub-install --grub-setup=/boot/grub/grub.cfg /dev/hda
I think the error is to quote the path to the config file as an argument
where the path to the grub-setup program is expected. The default path
is probably OK anyway, so you can probably just omit the whole option :-

  grub-install /dev/hda

The above should run grub-setup successfully (rather than trying to
execute grub.cfg!) for you so there's no need to run it again: If this
works then the comments that follow about a "bug in grub-install" could
be removed.

Hope this helps!
Steve