grub-devel

Re: Problems with GRUB + LVM + RAID-6 in Fedora Core 8

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Problems with GRUB + LVM + RAID-6 in Fedora Core 8
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:57:08 -0500

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:40 +0100, roger p wrote:
> I have installed Fedora Core 8 in a machine with 4 disks each 200
> GBytes; sda, sdb, sdc, sdd
>
> the partitioning is the following:
>
> md0: /boot     (Raid-0 (2 disks + 2 spare disks))
> md1: /            (RAID-6, (4 disks) + LVM)
> - the LVM has logical volumes:
>   - / for the linux (00)
>   - /home the rest (02)
>   - swap (01)
>
> When I now start the server it stops without any GRUB menu coming up,
> the error message "GRUB hard disk error" is displayed.
>
> When I start through the linux rescue it works fine. It reads the hard
> disk and no problem when I do the chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> What is the problem? It seems that the hard disk ctructure can not be
> read by GRUB.
>
> What to do?

This list is only about GRUB 2.  If you have problems with GRUB 1, then
address@hidden is the place to ask.

Whatever version you are using, you shouldn't be using RAID 0 for the
boot partition.  GRUB bootsector would not be able to load the rest of
GRUB from RAID-0.  The whole purpose of the boot partition is to have a
simple partition that the bootloader can understand.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin