grub-devel

Re: GRUB_MOD_GAP for non-ieee1275 ELF platforms

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GRUB_MOD_GAP for non-ieee1275 ELF platforms
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:47:08 +0100

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:38:01PM +0100, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2008 11:47, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > It would be nice to have some linker trick to tell the code about the
> > > prelinked modules.  That could make grub-mkimage a very thin wrapper
> > > around "ld -r", perhaps written as a shell script.
> >
> > Sure it would.  Shouldn't be too hard, geninit.sh does half of what you
> > want already.
>
> What does it mean? Do you want to use ld from grub-mkimage?

No, not grub-mkimage.  We were talking about the possibility that a C file
can be used as a module or linked in kernel.elf just by changing the makefiles,
without need to modify the code itself (to get grub_foo_init() working).

(Note that, ia64 patch just submitted uses ld in grub-install;  have a look
if you're concerned about that)

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)