grub-devel

Re: IA64 port

From: Alexandre Boeglin
Subject: Re: IA64 port
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:49:45 +0100

Le mar 29 jan 2008 à 10:59:22 +0100, Robert Millan a écrit :
> > On EFI, the prefix is extracted from an EFI path, whose case may not match
> > the FAT entries.
>
> Can you be more specific about this?  What do the specs say?  We wrote
> /boot/grub ourselves via grub-install;  is an EFI-compliant firmware
> allowed to actively mess up case in paths we provided?

Actually, kern/efi/init.c:grub_efi_set_prefix does not use the "user defined"
grub_prefix at all.

Currently, it gets the device path of the grub.efi binary, and traverses to
there. So, it only works when the modules are in the same directory as
grub.efi itself.

On the other hand, as the path is extracted using EFI's API (IIRC), it sounds
like an EFI bug that it mises up case like this. So the FAT case sensitivity
patch is then inevitable ...

Alex