grub-devel

Re: Native CD test results

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Native CD test results
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:24:26 +0800

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
>  It turned out that the splash image called isolinux/splash.jpg is
>  actually a png file.  What's worse, GRUB won't use it because it's not
>  8-bit:
>
>  $ identify splash.jpg
>  splash.jpg PNG 640x480 640x480+0+0 DirectClass 16-bit 436.441kb

It's quite easy to support 16-bit png, but i don't have one to test.
would you please send the image to me ?

>  Once I had Fedora 9 installed, I tried to install the latest GRUB on
>  it.  But I would get a strange message: "Warning: syntax error
>  (missing slash) in `'"
>
>  It turned out that grub_parse_color_name_pair() was called from
>  normal/menu.c, which didn't know a prototype for that function.  Even
>  though NULL was passed as the "name" argument,
>  grub_parse_color_name_pair() would see some non-zero value.  Adding
>  the declaration to normal.h fixed the problem.

I think this is caused by compile optimization. grub use -mregparm=3
option, which means use register instead of stack to pass parameter.
When caller encounter a function without prototype, it use the c
calling convention, which conflict with callee. But i think gcc is not
to be blame here, because it just have no way to know better, we could
be calling a function in the c library, in which case, the standard
calling convention is the correct one.

--
Bean