grub-devel

Re: Please support installation on Xen virtual block devices

From: Ian Campbell
Subject: Re: Please support installation on Xen virtual block devices
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 22:07:41 +0100

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 16:49 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 19:51 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 13:33 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > > Apparently, it was copied from the code that was inside an extra "for"
> > > loop.  Anyway, it's a very minor issue, and I would just apply the patch
> > > right now, but I prefer not to write changelog entries for others.
> >
> > Sorry about that. An updated version is attached with changelog and
> > (hopefully) correct indentation.
> >
> > I wasn't sure about the pre-processor conditionals, there seems to be
> > lots of existing ifdef __linux__ in there and the device path is pretty
> > Linux specific. I merged it into the one above but if you want them gone
> > I will redo.
>
> Applied.

Awesome thanks!

> It looks like you missed changes to linux_find_partition().  I'll fix it
> myself (if indeed necessary).

It doesn't seem to be needed for my simplistic test of installing the
grub-pc .deb and running "install-grub /dev/xvda":
        # dpkg -l grub-pc

Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
uppercase=bad)

        ii  grub-pc        1.96+20080430- GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2
(PC/BIOS
        # grub-install /dev/xvda
        Installation finished. No error reported.
        This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
        Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
        fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

        (hd0)   /dev/xvda
        # grub-install /dev/xvda1
        Installation finished. No error reported.
        This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
        Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
        fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

        (hd0)   /dev/xvda

However to my not-so-familiar-with-grub eyes it does look like such a
change would make sense.

Cheers,
Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

I love you more than anything in this world.  I don't expect that will last.
                -- Elvis Costello