grub-devel

LVM and LVM2 support in Grub

From: Dag Wieers
Subject: LVM and LVM2 support in Grub
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:52:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi guys,

Today I met Alasdair Kergon again and Tim brought up the question when we can expect LVM support in Grub. This is a feature that is now missing for some time and a lot of people are waiting for this.

Alasdair is very interested to make it possible to have Grub use some of the LVM functionality to allow for this directly which would probably work much better than the existing SoC project that apparently does not support the full set of LVM installations that exist.

Would it be posible to have this discussed or have a patch accepted for this ? Alasdair said that here at LinuxTag the past few days 7 of Red Hat's LVM engineers were present and they had some internal meetings. I am pretty sure Red Hat can make some resources available to make this work.

What is necessary to get this thing going and committed upstream ? Who can help with this from the Grub community ?

PS I am just trying to ignite some discussion so that I can use this myself as a happy Linux, Grub and LVM user ;-)

Thanks in advance,
--
--   dag wieers,  address@hidden,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --