grub-devel

Re: macbook EFI experiences

From: Bean
Subject: Re: macbook EFI experiences
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:17:11 +0800

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Isaac Dupree
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:42:02AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>>>
>>> okay, I just tried a few days ago's grub2 CVS without patches for i386
>>> efi, because presumably if that doesn't work for me then nothing else will
>>> either (though it's possible that a working x86-64 would work better for
>>> this particular EFI firmware, I suppose)
>>
>> Actually, I think it's better supported via grub-pc.  In BIOS we have a
>> workaround for the keyboard bug.  Was there any other kind of trouble?
>
> No it's not.  I can't use the keyboard on BIOS here, except sometimes for
> one single keystroke or more if I get lucky (true for linux CD booting, not
> just grub2); but the keyboard works fine on EFI and always has.  (Or was
> that workaround you mentioned in grub2 introduced sometime in the last year,
> in which case I should upgrade my grub2-bios installation?)

This problem should be gone by now, try the cvs version ?

BTW, I think you should use bios if you can. I remember seeing some
post about the video driver needs video bios for initialization. In
pure EFI mode, it will fallback to frame buffer mode which is slower.
I don't know if this have been fixed by now.

--
Bean