grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 04:47:49 +0200

El mar, 17-06-2008 a las 10:03 +0800, Bean escribió:
> The decompresser is about 2K, we should also exclude the uncompressed
> part at the beginning of kernel, but there is still plenty room left.
The problem is not just the decompresser size itself, but how much
memory it uses. LZO is pretty special (though not unique) in that its
requisites in that area are very low; as low as just the source and
destination buffers. With LZMA (and other algorithms) we would need
intermediate buffers and other memory-consuming things like dictionaries
and such. I'm neither a compression expert nor an assembly guru, but the
tradeoff might not be up to the task.