grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:56:52 -0400

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 00:15 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> > Which implementation of LZMA do you refer to? I think LZMA SDK is available
> > under LGPL, and most of LZMA Utils is also under LGPL. So there should be
> > no
> > problem.
>
> I expected that LGPL 2.1 wouldn't be compatible with GPL 3, but it seems
> that it is;  so unless I missed something there's no problem at all.

It would be fine if we were just linking against lzma.  In this case,
software using GPLv3 would have at least the same rights as proprietary
software that is allowed to do that.

But we are going to incorporate the decompression function into the
bootloader, and that may not be allowed by LGPL.  I don't think it would
be allowed for proprietary software.  It would be a derived work
regardless of the library exceptions.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin