grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:21:34 +0200

Hello,

On Jul/19/2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:22:27PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
>
> Carles!  Que n'és de petit el món ;-)

exacte! :-)

> > I'm a Grub user (thanks for your nice work!) and I always wanted to have
> > a menu that "loops". Like, if you press down and you are in the last
> > option it goes to the first one, and if you press up but you are int he
> > first option goes to the last.
> >
> > Attached comes a patch against revision 1718.
> >
> > Of course, feel free to comment anything about it. I'm open to change,
> > fix, etc.
> >
> > I also don't know if this functionality is not in Grub because you
> > thought that was better to not have this functionality.
> >
> > I've copied/change a few lines (after the patch, lines 425-428 are the
> > same than lines 347-350). I don't think that it's needed to refactor but
> > if you think so I can do it.
>
> I'm not sure if this is intentional.  Size is not important in this
> part of the code, but in other UI menus (e.g. Iceweasel or GNOME) I

fast check in KDE: it's looping

Also, Iceweasel menus are looping here (maybe because it's executed
in KDE and there is some GTK Widget with a different behaviour? I have
no idea)

> notice this is not done.  It could also be a nuissance for users who
> want to go rapidly to the top or bottom (sure, they can use PgUp/PgDn,
> but then aren't we making the behaviour of those keys inconsistent
> with arrows?).

I would be glad to add some functionality for PgUp/PgDown and also for
Home/End keys (I would do it today evening or tomorrow and send the
patch).

> Also, if you (or anyone) can point to a "usability best practices"
> reference saying this has been carefuly analized and one of the
> options was found to be better, I think this would help us make a
> decision.

I will also check tonight.

My patch is based on two things:
-what I was expecting as user (I always tried KeyUp to go to the end in
Grub -but not Home/End/PgUp/PgDown)

-what one non-IT workmate told me that it's annoying that he cannot
press KeyUp to go to the last option.

Thanks, we are in touch here :-)

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
        http://pinux.info       Manresa - Barcelona