grub-devel

Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:25:31 +0200

2008/7/30 Aniruddha <address@hidden>:

> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 20:00 +0200, Javier Martín wrote:
>
>> If your problem is what device name to pass to the kernel command
>> line, you can use a line like:
>>     linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=diskuuidhere
>> and the same with LABEL= if your initrd supports them (like Ubuntu's
>> default initrd or Gentoo's `genkernel' initrd).
>> If, on the other hand, your problem is what device to use in GRUB, I
>> think there is a `search' command you can investigate.
>>

> If I understand you correctly I have to add the following line to my
> grub.conf:
>
>> title=Gentoo Linux (2.6.25-gentoo-r6)
>> root (hd0,1)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.25-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0
>> init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=LABEL=my_label udev

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about GRUB Legacy (this
list is mostly about the development of GRUB 2). I think you are
missing some "initrd" (GRUB2) or "module" (GRUB1?) line after the
"linux" (GRUB2) or "kernel" (GRUB1) line - and the genkernel line
should not be in the GRUB config files at all. The exact boot
parameters and configuration should be in the Gentoo documentation: if
I remember my Gentoo times correctly, the Handbook should have all the
info you need. If you mail me a link to the post related to this issue
in the Gentoo forums, I can answer you better than in this list.