grub-devel

Re: ATA update

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: ATA update
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:26:35 +0200

Hello Marco,

Am Freitag, den 08.08.2008, 11:17 +0200 schrieb Marco Gerards:
> Hi Felix,

> Most likely something failed in grub_ata_identify.  you might want to
> add more debugging information there.

Ok I try.

> > ls (ata8) shows partition table
> > ls (ata8,1) or (ata8,2) unknown filesystem
>
> Can grub-emu deal with these filesystems?

No it says unknown fs, too.

> > But that's probable right, if your ata.mod works more then Linux instead
> > of the biosdisk.mod which works more then yeah BIOS ;)
>
> Hm?
>
> > I just tried to mount /dev/sda1 which is NTFS and syslog shows $MFT
> > corrupted (ntfs-3g).
>
> Also on biosdisk.

I currently always boot directly from my Raid 0
GRUB + Vista bootmgr + Vista \Windows\ is on Raid 0
my Linux / and so /boot is on my PATA disk.
This works totally fine for booting Vista and Linux.

With biosdisk.mod there's just (hd0) wich are both harddisks for the
raid0
ls (hd0,1)/ shows everything from my NTFS raid0
(hd1) is then my IDE disk.
There's no (hd2)

The BIOS itself can handle the RAID 0 for booting fine.
But as soon as you're in Linux or Windows the OS needs to care about it.
Linux still shows sda and sdb, but that doestn't work right.
I need dmraid so I have one /dev/mapper/nvidia_cediideh1 which I can
mount fine.

This is RAID 0 with chunksize 256 KB, so the first 256 KB of the
combined disks is on disk 0
But NTFS hasn't it's $MFT just on the first 256 KB
The second partition of it is a small ext3, but maybe it just begins on
the second disk.