grub-devel

Re: [RFC] I suggest to add -Wall to autoconf and autoheader calls

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] I suggest to add -Wall to autoconf and autoheader calls
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:44:45 -0400

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 13:16 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> With my configure.ac autoconf[0] topic I just got the idea to add
> `-Wall' option to `autoconf' in `autogen.sh'
>
> We're using -Wall for gcc so why not for autoconf and autoheader too?
>
> Then once in a while someone will hopefully notice that something might
> need a change and will look into it.

Fine, but only if we decide to fix the existing warnings.  I'm not sure
it's worth the trouble.  Just because a macro is considered obsolete,
it's not necessarily broken.  End users won't run Autoconf, so they
won't have problems if a newer Autoconf removes an obsolete macro.

Compiler warnings are more likely to indicate a problem with the
compiled code than autoconf warnings.  They can also indicate problems
with different compilers, and users will use different compilers.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin