grub-devel

Re: localization of Grub

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: localization of Grub
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:33:49 +0100

Hello,

On Dec/08/2008, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> I understand that we/I should adapt some scripts using, for example, this
> guideline?:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/gettext/Preparing-Shell-Scripts.html
>
> (I haven't tested now, I think that some years ago I did some tests with

They use gettext.sh file, in my Debian is in:
/usr/bin/gettext.sh, in package gettext-base . Do you think that this is
the best way? Do we assume that gettext.sh it's there, or we provide
backfail mechanism? (for example I don't think that this file comes with
cygwin...)

I can translate in two ways:
----
echo $(gettext "hello world")
eval_gettext "hello world";echo
----

so, with eval_gettext (comes from gettext.sh) or from gettext binary
straight.

eval_gettext helps a bit substituing shell variables:
# eval_gettext MSGID
# looks up the translation of MSGID and substitutes shell variables in the
# result.
eval_gettext () {
  gettext "$1" | (export PATH `envsubst --variables "$1"`; envsubst
"$1")
}

But we could do it without gettext.sh

Which method do you think that we should use?
With failback option?

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info