grub-devel

Re: Help with Grub2

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Help with Grub2
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:16:38 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 01.02.2009, 13:00 -0500 schrieb BandiPat:

> Felix,
> You are my new hero!  That was the problem, the XFS I was using.  Once I
> got the newest release built and installed, everything worked as it
> should.  Yaaay!  I can't thank you enough for your help.  It's really a
> very simple and painless process, if all things are correct.

Nice.

> Now I just need to add some other entries to use, plus I would like to
> make the loader screen a bit prettier.  If I just want to boot to
> runlevel 3, can I use the standard boot entry that takes me to the gui
> and just add "append=3" as the last entry?

No append=3 is LILO syntax not GRUB.
You do it like this:
linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 3
By the way you can use grub-mkconfig to generate a grub.cfg for you.

> I also want to add a memtest entry.  The boot loader screen is
> themeable, isn't it or you can use a graphic, jpg or png, etc?  Sorry
> for all the questions, but I'm excited that it finally works.  Now I
> want to start playing and learning.

Oh for the graphic mode to work you need to have /usr/src/unifont.bdf
file which is for Debian/Ubuntu in bf-utf-source package and then
compile grub2 with `./configure --enable-grub-mkfont' so that the fonts
files needed for it are generated.
And then you can use a background image with something like this in
grub.cfg:
insmod png
background_image /my/image.png
or you can use insmod jpeg or tga

Themes are not yet supported but Colin's gfxmenu branch will be merged
soon.

--
Felix Zielcke