grub-devel

Re: Interesting GSoC project ideas for 09

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: Interesting GSoC project ideas for 09
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:59:31 +0100

Hello. Marco Gerards already agreed that this port is ok. I made some investigations into their code and have to say that it won't be just a port. It seems that some features (e.g. directory listing) are missing. It also uses dirty tricks which limit their code to one opened file in time. All this has to be addressed. I was planning to do ZFS however now my studies take more time than I thought they would and so if it's ok for maintainers to put it on summer of code or if someone wants to do this port, it's ok with me. Some other ideas:
HID:
-bluetooth keyboard
-mouse support
More graphics drivers
FS:
-btrfs
-Hammer (dragonflybsd)
Network
-TFTP
-TCP/IP
--NFS
--SMB
--AFP
--FTP
--HTTP (last two would allow plain grub2 used to install linux distribution by just pointing at right internet server)
-TFTP
Firewire
Scripts:
-Finish scripting engine, loops, functions, pipes,...
-Runtime autoconfig which scans all the drives and creates a list of detected OS. Very useful for demonstrations and recovery
Realmode hooks including map and memdisk

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
C. Bergström wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'm not a grub developer, but I'm interested to try to spur some ideas around how grub could benefit from participating in the 09 GSoC. My initial ideas are selfish and seeing if there's any interest to have the zfs support ported from sun's fork to grub 2 upstream. I've checked the licensing on the files and it does say GPL 2+ or something like that.

Anyone have any other ideas? Interested to help mentor? The deadline is around the corner so if planning hasn't happened yet it should start soon.

Thanks

./Christopher