grub-devel

Solaris assumptions

From: phcoder
Subject: Solaris assumptions
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:07:31 +0100

Hello, investigating Solaris/OpenSolaris/Pulsar kernel I found that it makes assumptions which are false in grub2 environment. Now we should decide what to do. Assumptions: 1) Bad multiboot header. AOUT_KLUDGE bit is set but no aout multiboot fields. Actually the image is elf. I fixed it by just putting this bit to zero in the binary. It's possible to add a workaround but it's basically a sun's issue 2) solaris is able to open its own kernels file by the name from grub's cmdline. It's also a bad assumption which is entirely sun's fault 3) mbi, cmdline and mmap are in low memory. These bits are discuttable. Specification doesn't guarantee these parts to be on low memory however different OSes assume that and it makes mapping memory much easier. If we want to superseed grub1 we should use daChaac's memory management and allocate the space for these parts on low memory
--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko