grub-devel

Re: multiboot2

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: multiboot2
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:33:42 +0100

In 4 and 7 I meant parameters passed from the bootloader to the OS.
With that, you also don't need to worry about "higher numbers are newer
version", as we can determine our own versioning, and load appropriate
features.
With that we can avoid alternative bootloaders with version passing like 13b5.1.1rc2
Which would be an unnecessary hassle for the OS to parse.

I'm not really understanding what you're saying here.  Are you proposing
that the OS lets us know what command-line options it allows, for use in
tab completion?  Or that they're listing the default command line (for
editing perhaps?)  Or am I thinking in the wrong direction here?
Yes you're. I mean command line parameters. E.g. if you launch the kernel like
multiboot /mykernel root=myroot debug=ttyS0
Then kernel should be able to know what's passed after the kernel name I propose it to be exported as a tag 0x0005 and contents
"root=myroot debug=ttyS0" as a NUL-terminated UTF-8 string
--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko