grub-devel

Re: [Design] nested partitions: Unify grub_partition and grub_disk

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: [Design] nested partitions: Unify grub_partition and grub_disk
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:03:58 +0100

I forgot to speak about another question: partition naming. I see 2 possibilities
1) purely numeric unified naming scheme. It means that
(hd0,1,a) becomes (hd0,1,1)
On one hand mixed number-letter scheme is similar to what freebsd uses but on the other hand numerical scheme is versatile and allows unlimited nestedness. And I don't see why we would use a scheme specific to one of many supported OSes. 2) Every partition map is allowed to pick the name that it likes as long as it contains no comma. In this way we would need to keep partition-name parsing functions in partitition map modules. It means that this code would be duplicated. But this scheme is better in the cases when partition map has no numbering scheme but instead has labels attached to partitions. But in this case IMO search command should be used find the partition

I personally would prefer the first way
Also an interesting question is how would "has_partitions" field be
handled in this scheme.

Just ignored. It's actually used only to optimise some code out based on the assumption that some media has no partitions. Performance gain is negligible but if this assumption doesn't hold true grub won't be able to access the partitions which are really here. Famous example is a cdrom. Most people would assume that cdrom has no partitions. But on powerpc bootable cdroms use APM

--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko