grub-devel

Re: GRUB device names wrt. ieee1275

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: GRUB device names wrt. ieee1275
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 01:48:14 +0100

phcoder wrote:
Device name in boot block will anyway be written in it's complete raw OFW form, no matter how the rest of the grub2 accessing the disks. Using UUIDs in this place would be nice. On IRC you said that we have 120 bytes for the name. UUID is 16 or 32 bytes depending on FS. Is it possible to fit something like <read first sector> of every disk, <compare data at given offset>?
Could we use label checksum for finding right disk?
I don't agree that all devices should be accessed exclusively by UUID. It makes things difficult to maintain because of internal naming. IMO quoting and escaping offers the best universal solution. I don't see why sth like
(/address@hidden,600000/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden,1)
is a problem. Anyway you don't type such a thing manually and probably use tab-completition instead