grub-devel

Re: Overlaying default grub.cfg makes qemu "fat:" partition inaccessible

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Overlaying default grub.cfg makes qemu "fat:" partition inaccessible
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:26:08 -0400

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 13:39 +0100, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> Taking a look at grub-mkrescue, it seems that it creates a
> boot/grub/grub.cfg that executes an insmod for each specified module.
> It then copies the overlay files overwriting the just-created
> grub.cfg.
>
> The user's grub.cfg should either be appended to the one created by
> grub-mkrescue or there should be a way to specify a config file, which
> the generated grub.cfg loads.

This behavior seems inconsistent to me.  It's not like loading grub.cfg
is the main goal of GRUB.  The main goal is loading an OS, which may
require more modules.

An equivalent in the OS world would be an OS failing to load network
drivers if X window system is started successfully.

Perhaps loading of grub.cfg should be separated from entering the normal
mode.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin