grub-devel

Re: Current state of grub2 encryption support

From: Michael Gorven
Subject: Re: Current state of grub2 encryption support
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:45:48 +0200

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 04:48:02 steve wrote:
> Update, i was able to get the right modules to load into a core.img by
> making the encrypted partition start at 1mb instead of 32.5kb, the modules
> loaded into core.img were:

Nice! I briefly looked at getting everything into core.img, but it seemed
impossible. That's a nice solution though.

> At boot, i issue the ls command which causes it to find the luks partition
> and ask for the password, after that point i am able to have it read a
> grub.cfg file from (lk0)/boot/grub/grub.cfg, which then loads the kernel.

I haven't gotten round to trying this, but ideally core.img should be
configured to look for the config file on an encrypted partition so that it
automatically prompts for the password and then loads the menu.

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net
PGP Key ID 6612FE85