grub-devel

Re: Grub2 svn2059

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Grub2 svn2059
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:37:17 -0400

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Saturday 04 April 2009 04:02:18 BandiPat wrote:
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Friday 03 April 2009 14:17:04 step21 wrote:
Hey, just a wild guess, but I think boot.mod got dropped and the boot
command is now included in minicmd.mod
Yes, it seems so. And, it is a mistake that boot and some other commands
are not built into the kernel. We must reduce modules, and let them back
to the kernel.

Regards,
Okuji
-----------
In the meantime, how do we get the new svn to work then?  Is there some
trick or something in the compile we need to do?  Presently I'm using
svn2031 successfully.

I guess you just have some outdated files. As "make" depends on timestamps, checking out from any kind of version control system can confuse "make". Try "make clean all".

Regards,
Okuji

Well, devs, I am making some advancements with the new svn versions. I just did a brand new fresh install to a test computer which had LILO installed as default. I first installed svn2059 for testing, which worked! I then did an upgrade to svn2065 afterwards, ran the grub-install command to replace all the files in /boot/grub.

Each time I've run or re-run grub-install though, I get this error.
grub-setup:  error:  cannot read '/boot/grub/core.img' correctly

Someone enlighten me as to what might be causing that? Otherwise, things are looking favorable for Grub2 being okay, but I'm not letting you devs off until I do a bit more testing. :-)

Regards,
Pat