grub-devel

Re: Kexec loading grub2

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Kexec loading grub2
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 13:45:15 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 02:28:21PM -0700, Joey Korkames wrote:
> 1)  Add a 32-bit load segment to boot/i386/pc/lnxboot.S as described by
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/x86/boot.txt
>  (at the bottom)
>
>  grub4dos (which is kexec'able) implements this in startup_32: @
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/grub4dos/trunk/stage2/dosstart.S?view=markup

Please use Multiboot.  It's about time we start standarising on boot
protocols...

>  # kexec --type multiboot-x86 --load grub2.elf
>   issues this error:
>  > Base address: 8200 is not page aligned

Multiboot doesn't require that load addresses are page aligned, but I think you
can change the link address without much trouble.

If you use 0x100000, though, the Linux loader will probably stop working.

--
Robert Millan