grub-devel

Re: Code quality

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Code quality
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 00:53:49 -0400

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 13:41 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Can we start using -Werror ?  If we can't do it globally, at least for
> individual modules.  This way we gradually prevent regressions in more
> areas, and (hopefully) at some point get rid of them.

We should fix the warnings first.  We have some warnings where we cast a
64-bit address to a 32-bit address without doing any validation.
Turning those warnings into errors increases the risk that somebody will
add casts mindlessly instead of adding sanity checks.

Also, gcc 4.4.0 adds a bunch of warnings about aliasing.

It would be better to make the build less verbose by default to make the
warnings more visible.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin