grub-devel

More trials with grub

From: James Jarvis
Subject: More trials with grub
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:05:59 +0100

Conscious that I am not a developer but it is useful to get feedback on the project I have outlined progress mad so far with * to indicate questions/discussion points.

I have been building a fat grub2 (using the fatglue.py script from rEFIT project) to use on Intel Macs (mac mini; iMac 8,1; iMac 9,1 etc). This works on both 32 and 64 bits architectures. Because the modules don't work as fat files I tend to use a monolithic grub image. (FWIW, the idea is to have a utility boot CD to pass out to our field operators.)

Incidentally I have checked that I can insert the non-fat modules from the fat grub2 monolithic image.

I have managed to have it boot from CD but it always chokes when trying to find the grub.cfg on the CD - even though I have the required filesystems in the monolithic grub image. I see in the README CD support is not there yet however if someone has that working, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for a great product,

James

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.