grub-devel

Re: echo and hello bug

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: echo and hello bug
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:07:11 +0200

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM, James Jarvis <address@hidden> wrote:
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM, James Jarvis <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

   Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

           tried this module list in grub-mkimage on 2282 but it hung!

       I think you have a problem with you building system. If you
       want ping
       me (phcoder) on IRC and I'll compile for you

   Shamed me into looking deeper! I discover that by listing hello
   and echo first in the grub-mkimage command they both work as
   expected. Not sure why this occurs - is there a file detailing
   module dependencies one can look at?

You have probably hit a memory access bug in a secondary module. Post the list of modules you integrate and try removing some of these modules
It appears that if the "echo" and "hello" modules are in the efi image before the "kernel" module they work but if after they don't.

Moving "kernel" to the end means that "echo" "hello" and "ls" work correctly. I need kernel so I just need to remember to put it as the last module. Presumably I am not the first to come across this problem but it was not one that came up easily in searches. I'll add to the bug report.
Never specify kernel.mod explicitely. It's added automatically

James

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.