grub-devel

grub2 debugging with gdb

From: jeff jeff
Subject: grub2 debugging with gdb
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:01:27 +0200

hi
i need to add a few commands/modules to grub2 for our systems.
i am trying to debug grub2 with gdb to ease the development cycle. for that purpose i have followed this excellent doc
http://v3.sk/~lkundrak/grub2-gdb/howto.html

after i applied the procedure described in the note, for some reason i can't establish a connection between the testbed system and the gdb host over serial.after i type "break" on the testbed target and i try to connect to the remote target on the host, nothing happens.

i wonder if i correctly built grub2 with the gdb stub patch. in fact i had trouble applying it as i am not sure on what version of grub2 it should be applied. i had to fix several hunks..

the thing is i am new to grub2. my understanding is that version grub 1.96 is grub2.  (i have tried to research the web and couldnt get a clear statement at what version grub2 is starting. i was thinking that there should be a 2.0 version somewhere..). 1.96 is the version i have used to apply the patch, as i only had a few hunks to fix after applying the patch as compared to the latest version i got from the svn repo.

could you plse tell me what grub2 version i should be using? also i can see that there exists several version of the gdb-stubs patch. could someone plse tell me where is the right one to use?

thx a lot for the help
-jf