grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:13:36 +0100

Hi,

On Jun/19/2009, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Jun/18/2009, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> >
> > > If you want I'll add compilation po to mo to build system.
> >
> > this would be very nice and speed up the process :-)
> >
> > As it's written in the TODO in grub/po, we need:
> >
> > -Compile all .po to .mo (msgfmt $LANG.po -o $LANG.mo) (during the make
> > of Grub?)
> >
> > -Copy to /usr/share/locale/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo (or
> >  /usr/local/share/locale/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES/..., so $prefix...)
> > ((Well, now with the last changes I suggest to copy *.mo to
> > $prefix/locale/ :-) ))
>
> In my git repository you can find a possible way how to do it (branch

Could you send the details of your git repository? (I don't have it
handy)

> for-carles). There is a possibility with minimal modification to copy

thanks :-)

> languages to both ls /usr/local/lib/grub/<platform>/ and $prefix like it's
> the case with modules. It still needs work because I haven't updated non
> i386-pc scripts yet and because putting to lib/grub/platform is
> inappropriate. But you can already get the idea Would it be ok if it will go
> to /usr/local/share/grub and $prefix/locale ? Can you make gettext in
> utilities to use /usr/local/share/grub/$LANG.mo

As far as I remember, gettext utilities uses a shell variable to search
for the .mo file (or to the directory where the .mo file is located). So
yes, we could test if /usr/locale/share/grub exists and failback to
/usr/share/locale/grub, etc.
(I can do something like this during the weekend)

> > -Make uptrans should execute:
> > uptrans:
> >       xgettext -k_ -LC -o - `find "$(srcdir)/" -name '*.c'` -o po/grub.pot
> >       xgettext -k_ -Lshell -o - $(GRUBD)/* -j -o po/grub.pot
> >
> This will need to be adjusted to use DISTLIST

I leave it to you since I'm not familiar with DISTLIST, etc.

> > (first line generates the new po template from the *.c files and otehr
> > one from the grub.d scripts)
> >
> > Then we have other things to do, like be sure that the scripts that
> > generates grub.cfg are using the appropiate location of the files. For
> > example, 10_linux.d is using $eval_gettext, and the system has the
> > grub-gettext_lib.in that setups some paths and includes gettext.sh (this
> > is a generic script that comes with gettext-base package).
> >
> > Maybe we can, now (next days) add gettext support in Grub booting time
> > and then to the scripts?
> >
> Works for me

ok. I think that adding Gettext to Grub is not a very BIG patch itself,
but it touches many places (Grub itself, Scripts, building system) that
makes difficult to prepare only one patch for everything.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info