grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:18:08 +0200

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:09:14PM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> > Do we really need to localize the bootloader?  I think localization of
> > the tools should be sufficient.
>
> By the moment I translated this string (as an example):
> +"      Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted.\n"
>
> +"      Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the\n"
> +"      commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."

Uhm this string seems problematic.  We shouldn't have a \n there.  I
wonder if there's an easy way to solve this.

> Well, we could have another approach and this is also nice:
>
> _all_ strings that appears in a normal boot process (like the ones that
> I showed above) are part of the grub.cfg file. So, when grub.cfg file is
> generated we could have:
>
> set updowntext="Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is
> highlighted."
> set bootother="Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit
> the\ncommands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."
>
> So, when we will translate the userland part translated all that the
> users will see will be translated.

Sounds like an interesting option.  It's a pity you already spent the effort
on implementing gettext in grub side, though :-(

First of all, we should agree on what we want to translate.  If it's clear
we only want this kind of strings, we could use this approach.

--
Robert Millan