grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:42:17 +0200

El lun, 22-06-2009 a las 21:03 +0200, Jordi Mallach escribió:
> What is VERY important is that all the \n lines are part of a single msgid.
> What would be problematic (really!) would be something like:
>
> msgid "Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted."
> msgid "Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the"
> msgid "commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."

Actually, the first string could stand on its own just fine, but the
second and the third should be joined. Don't forget that the spirit of
gettext is translating full sentences when possible, and semantically
complete messages when not. Otherwise the translators can get lost with
usually ridiculous consequences. By the way, I offer myself for the
Spanish translation;

msgid "Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted."
msgstr "Utilize las teclas %C y %C para seleccionar la entrada
resaltada."

msgid ""
"Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the"
"commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."
msgstr ""
"Pulse Enter para iniciar el SO seleccionado, 'e' para editar la"
"lista de comandos antes de arrancar, ó 'c' para abrir un intérprete."

--
-- Lazy, Oblivious, Recurrent Disaster -- Habbit