support for crashkernel= in

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: support for crashkernel= in
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:20:49 +0200

in ubuntu we are working on making it easier to capture kernel
crashes. The system we use is based around kdump and it works by
triggering a kexec of a special crashdump kernel if the regular
kernels crashes. In order for this to work the normal kernel needs a
additional commandline option "crashkernel=".

Attached is a very simple patch that adds this option automatically if
kexec and makedumpfile are available.

If its not general enough for inclusion into the default grub2, may a
mechanism to pass additional kernel commandline paramters via some
sort of defaults.d/ directory would be the right apporoach? Then I
could just ship a config file in kexec-tools that looks like this:

P.S. I also put the patch in the bugtracker at