grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:09:02 -0400

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 22:20 +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> IMHO: b1 looks more professional/nicer and complete than b2, that looks
> like a quick-patch, no? But both has similar results.

I realize now that the comparison with the kernel was wrong.  The kernel
output can be hidden from the user.  But GRUB is interactive by design.

My main concern is the size of the files we install in /boot/grub.  It's
approaching one megabyte already, without the localization.  That's why
I'm trying to avoid a large number of *.mo files in /boot/grub.

On the other hand, incorporating a dictionary into grub.cfg would be
equivalent to having just one set of strings under /boot/grub.  But we
can achieve the same by having one *.mo file in /boot/grub.

I agree, using gettext is a more solid approach technically.

But installing all *.mo files to /boot/grub would be an overkill in many
cases.  I think copying the file for the current language should be
enough.  The same language should be specified in grub.cfg when it's
generated.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin