grub-devel

Re: Grub & accessibility

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Grub & accessibility
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:51:04 -0400

Quoting Samuel Thibault <address@hidden>:

(sorry phcoder for the duplication)

Robert Millan, le Fri 10 Jul 2009 19:22:48 +0200, a écrit :
We've made some exceptions, but in general, we'd like to keep the GRUB
codebase made entirely of FSF-copyrighted code, or at least code we
have disclaimers for.

OTOH, we don't want to discard valuable work that wasn't written specifically
for GRUB.  Perhaps Marco or Okuji will allow an exception for this case.

The thing is that it would be sad to re-implement these drivers, as
getting hardware to make sure they work is hard.

One of the main advantages of Free Software is that it allows code sharing. For a GNU project to reject accessibility code solely because it's copyrighted by others would be a very bad move from the PR perspective. I can easily imagine stories badmouthing FSF and GPLv3 over the issue. Someone or something hurting disabled people is the kind of story journalists like.

It would still be legal for another entity to take the GRUB code and combine it with the accessibility code, but it would be an unnecessary fork.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin