grub-devel

Re: TPM support status ?

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: TPM support status ?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:20:02 +0200

2009/8/20 Michael Gorven <address@hidden>:
> On Thursday 20 August 2009 09:59:42 Michal Suchanek wrote:

>> > So? It's still protected storage. You can read a BIOS chip, but you can't
>> > just read the contents of a TPM chip.
>>
>> You can use decent crypto storage rather than half-broken TPM. There
>> is no advantage to using it.
>
> Like what?

There is hardware for secure key storage which you can put into some
card slot or USB and unlike TPM you can also remove it and store
separately from the computer which greatly decreases the chance that
your data would be compromised if your computer is stolen.

I am not using such hardware so I do not know all the details of
available options. STFW should bring up something.

Thanks

Michal