grub-devel

Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:29:54 +0200

2009/9/22 Stefan Bienert <address@hidden>:

>> I would just boot with video=efifb, no bioses, and no X.
>>
>> For me X sort of works with agp and no bios but I guess this is quite
>> dependent on the graphics type.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michal
>
> I tried changing my menu entries vie 'e' in the menu. Nothing works,
> only with video=efifb, without noefi and all other sorts of
> combinations. Could it be that I need some different video=...?
> The last line of my boot-attempts is always something like "Video line
> length".

Not likely, the only video that reasonably works without a bios is efifb.

On the other hand, if you boot with a video bios and with noefi you
might get away with something like vga=normal, vga=ask  or
video=vesafb or something like video=vga16fb.

Unfortunately. grub refuses to pass on vga=ask for me.

I am not sure what vbios is supposed to do for you. There is also the
question when the graphics card is switched to vga. Normally the
kernel expects the card to be in vga state so it should be probably
done by grub.

Thanks

Michal