grub-devel

Re: grub_prefix seems wrong for separate /boot partition

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub_prefix seems wrong for separate /boot partition
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:15:50 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 01.10.2009, 23:29 +0200 schrieb Christoph Mathys:
> Hello
>
> Not sure if I've come to the right place, but here is my story:
>
> Yesterday, my package manager (deb on testing) decided that the time has
> come to switch to grub 1.97~beta3. Well, afterwards my system did not
> boot anymore, it was stuck in the grub shell, no menu or anything. It
> works again now and I quiet like the new grub shell (well, scrolling was
> horribly slow).
>
> Anyway, my /boot-directory is on its own partition, which is only
> mounted if I need to change something there. Now, one of the problems
> why the update did not work was that I forgot to mount /boot and grub
> could not find the kernels (my fault).
>
> After I've learned how to boot my system again and mounted /boot, grub
> found the kernels. However, grub_prefix seems to be wrong, pointing to
> /boot/grub instead of just /grub. I did not find a better way to fix it
> than changing the variable in grub-install. After changing grub_prefix
> to /grub and rerunning grub-install /dev/hda, everything is fine now.
>
> Maybe grub_prefix should be setable on the command line of grub-install?
>   Or some other bad mistake on my part because of scoping the amount of
> documentation I read using google?

It should be never needed to change grub-install to fix this.
If /boot is a seperate partition then the prefix gets just /grub.
If not then it's a bug. And in that case the generated grub.cfg has the
same problem.
This is actually impossible that only grub-install but not grub-mkconfig
was affected in your case. They use both the same function to make it
relative to the root.
Did you run grub-install again after you mounted your /boot or did you
just copy the files?

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer