grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:57:00 +0200

2009/10/4 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I only tried running the sample, did not look how things are done yet.
>>
>> The major problem is that the panels are not sorted in any way so the
>> navigation is very confusing. There should be only a single toplevel
>> panel which contains all active elements in a layout.
>>
>> However, when I put everything into a single panel I still get issues:
>>
>>  - the content is not inside the panel border
>>  - focus is on an invisible element, not the first element
>
> Hi,
>
> Oh, that's a small bug, easy to fix.
>
>>  - panels are not ordered left to right as specified
>
> I don't understand, it looks left to right to me. Or do you mean that
> small bar in the bottom ? It has margin_bottom set so that it sticks
> to the border.

There are panels above it so it is not left to right.

The margin should increase the outer size of the widget so that when
space is allocated for it the margin is taken into account but not
stick it to the bottom. That's what alignment (valign) is for.

A width=100%, margin_left=3, margin_right=3 widget should occupy the
available width minus 6 characters.

> The default unit is character, which have different width and height
> value, you can use the pixel format as:
>
> border_width = "5/1"
> border_height = "5/1"
>
> Then width/height would be 5 pixel in graphic mode.

One should only remember to set horizontal sizes twice of the vertical
sizes in text. Not nice but there is no nice way to avoid it I guess.

>>  - background bitmap does not cover margins. I am not sure if it is
>> desirable to cover them, though. CSS works that way but I am sure some
>> systems work differently.
>
> I don't understand, can you be more specific ?

The only useful case is probably resolved by adding a toplevel panel
inside screen and setting background on the screen.

Thanks

Michal